The NRH Foundation are working in partnership with the NRH and HSE on the construction of the new hospital project, this life changing development which will have a huge impact on the lives and rehabilitation journeys of the patients, both adults and children, in the NRH.
The initial stage of this project involved the design phase led by O’Connell Mahon Architects, and the EU tendering process for the Building Contractor was subsequently completed. Contracts were signed with the successful Tenderer, John Paul Construction on 28th August 2017 – work began promptly following this.
Phase One of the development will include a fit for purpose ward accommodation block (120 single ensuite rooms) with Integrated Therapy Spaces, a new Sports Hall, Hydrotherapy Unit, Paediatric Family Centred Rehabilitation Unit, a Temporary Concourse as well as Clinical & Ancillary Spaces. In addition, links to the existing building will ensure full integration between the new development and the existing hospital on the site.
Turning of the Sod
The NRH New Hospital Project Official Ground Breaking Ceremony took place on Monday 23rd of October 2017. The Board & Staff of the NRH & NRH Foundation were joined by An Taoiseach Leo Varadkar TD and Minister for Health Simon Harris TD for this historical occasion, of the turning of the sod, for Phase One of the new Hospital Redevelopment.
State of the Art Sports Facility Now Open
The first NRH patients commenced their rehabilitation in the newly opened National Rehabilitation Hospital (NRH) state of the art sports facility on the 9th of January 2019. This new facility has been fully equipped with specialised high tech equipment, a climbing wall, shooting range etc. thanks to NRH Foundation supporters.
New Hospital Project Progress 2020
The NRH New Hospital Development funded by the NRH Foundation and HSE, is starting to take shape and the focus has started to move from the external build to the internal development and landscaping. This year this first ever purpose built Irish rehabilitation hospital will open its doors and will make a huge difference to the lives of patients, their family and also the staff of the NRH. Fundraising and donations will play a vital role in enabling the NRH Foundation to continue to financially support this development.
New Hospital Progress – The Final Weeks
Over the last few weeks our new hospital development has come on in leaps and bounds. The New Hospital building and its building systems, such as Fire Safety Systems, have received the Building Control Assessment Regulations (BCAR) certification. We also got some great news that the new building achieved an A3 BER energy efficiency rating. This is a result of many initiatives, including the high levels of insulation and excellent air tightness of the building, all the A++ rated plant and equipment and the fact that the entire lighting system in the building is LED.
This is a very exciting time as we step closer to opening the doors to this new building to the patients.
The NRH Foundation are support funding the building of this new facility and funds raised have also enabled us to facilitate the purchase of particular equipment for the new hospital. More specialist items are required for this project to support the NRH patients, now and into the future.
What will the new Hospital Project mean to the four specialist Programmes in the NRH, the Spinal Injury Programme, the Brain Injury Programme, the Prosthetic and Limb Absence Programme (POLAR) & and the Paediatric Programme?
- This new facility represents the latest in hospital design and will enable staff to deliver services in a new and innovative environment, designed specifically around patient’s needs. The design of this development is patient-centered and based on the principles of empowerment, dignity, confidentiality and choice.
- The single ensuite rooms will allow a more private space for the individual management of neurogenic bowel and bladder care and also allow nursing education in this area to proceed unhindered by the restraints of an open ward set up.
- The new integrated therapy spaces and integrated social and recreational areas will provide a superb opportunity for patients in a peer supported environment to further explore and expand on their functional abilities.
- The new hydrotherapy and lap pools will be hugely beneficial to patients at all stages of their individual rehabilitation journey.
Patients and Staff celebrate the opening of the new World Class National Rehabilitation Hospital (NRH) on its campus in Dún Laoghaire
This Summer, the National Rehabilitation Hospital (NRH) staff and patients moved into the newly completed, long awaited, phase one hospital development on the NRH site. The development is purpose built, with 120 single ensuite rooms, integrated therapy services, hydrotherapy pool and sports facilities, all of which are specifically designed to accommodate the needs of those requiring complex specialist rehabilitation services. The design is patient-centred and based on the principles of empowerment, dignity, privacy, confidentiality and choice. The first design of its kind in Ireland, this new hospital complies with best international practice and infection prevention and control guidelines.
This new facility will be a major enhancement to rehabilitation services in the country and will have a direct and significant impact on patient recovery. These new facilities will make a real difference to the lives of the children and adults who pass through the doors of the NRH. The new building links into the clinical and support services that will remain in the existing hospital (Cedars building) until Phase Two of the New Hospital Project is completed.
Professor Mark Delargy, NRH Clinical Director, stated “This facility sets a new standard for accessibility and rehabilitation functionality for patients with significant disability. The provision of integrated therapy sessions delivered by Interdisciplinary Teams in the new ward-based therapy facilities will be a huge benefit to patients.”
Phase one of the three-phase major Capital Development is a partnership between the HSE, the NRH and the NRH Foundation. The NRH Foundation support funded the building of this new facility and funds raised have also enabled us to facilitate the purchase of particular specialised rehabilitation equipment for the new hospital.
Just some items support funded to date by the NRH Foundation for the new hospital, thanks to our generous supporters include:
- Funding support towards some building costs of the new development
- A new climbing wall facility and a new shooting range facility
- New fully accessible paediatric playground equipment
- The equipping of the adolescent den in the Paediatric Unit
- The equipping of a new multi-sensory therapy room in the Paediatric Unit
- Specialist assisted technology installation in 27 bedrooms
- The equipping of a new state of the art sports gym and multi sensory equipment for the hydrotherapy pool
- Specialised outdoor Putting Green
- Support funding for the new independent living unit
- The purchase of specialist rehabilitation equipment across the Physiotherapy, Occupational Therapy and Speech & Language Therapy Services
None of this would have been possible if it were not for the generosity of our donors, fundraisers and supporters – Thank you all for helping to make this dream a reality.
This is only the beginning of our journey, as we continue to source vital funds for the equipping of this world class development, and also as we strive towards phase two of this three phase project. Please consider supporting this project by donating or fundraising for the NRH Foundation.